Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Is this legal grounds for defamation and/or slander in the state of MD?

Four individuals approached a law professor of mine, claiming I was intoxicated during a college lecture. The smell of alcohol on my breath is easily explained: I had TASTED a new wine while grabbing dinner with a friend prior to cl (please note: I said TASTED). My behavior is also explainable, because I have a clinical diagnosis of ADHD, and had been in the 4-day time frame from when my Adderall could be filled. The behaviors/actions they claimed resembled drunkeness are all listed under ADHD symptoms. I have cleared this with my Professor, who is a MD state Prosecutor and considers this issue resolved since I provided doentation proving 1) my disability, 2) the absence of my medication, and 3) a symptom list of ADHD. These four individuals went to the Professor, Dean of Students, and Student Government (where I currently serve as a member). I am currently court ordered to abstain from drugs/excessive drinking - and had a drug test the following day - for which I came back negative. The motive for this is obvious: I won a student election for a position that one of the individuals wanted, the other is his girlfriend, another is the girlfriends bestfriend, and the final person is the bestfriends admirer. I was in a clroom of 25 people - and only 4 (with a common denominator) accused me of being drunk. This could affect my status as a Student Government member and/or legal status in the state of MD. Do I have a case for defamation if either of these two outcomes occur? I intend to becoming a lawyer - so this could substantially affect my ability to get accepted, in addition - it is ruining my reputation as a hardworking college student who participates extensively in Student Government. The fact that the main individual approached the Professor, Dean of Students, and a member of SGA (whom I know is a close friend of hers) in an attempt to get me into trouble is fishy. How am I supposed to defend against such allegations? It is truly he said-she said. I feel as though the prior evidence of motive (the fact that I got an executive position that her friend did not, and that her and I arent the "best of friends") as well as the fact that only 4 people out of 25 thought I was drunk are working in my favor.. do I have a case?

No comments:

Post a Comment